Residential Screening Policy, Criteria and Application
Please read the following policies carefully.
If you feel you meet the guidelines for qualifying, we encourage you to submit an application.
All prospective occupants of the residence over the age of 18 must apply and will be considered tenants. An applicant must be 18 years of age or older to qualify as a tenant.
A $35 non-refundable processing fee must accompany each application. Only cash or money order will be accepted. No application will be processed until the fee is paid. Money order should be made payable to Salefish Properties.
Please write your address, birth date and social security number legibly and in black ink - if incorrect information is entered due to poor handwriting - the applicant will be required to pay another $25 processing fee.
An application will not be processed unless filled out completely and signed by all applicants 18 years of age or older.
All property requests must be submitted in writing and must accompany the application.
If an applicant meets the acceptable criteria, then they are approved. If the applicant does not meet the acceptable criteria they may be denied or a higher security deposit or additional month's rent is required.
In order to reserve the property for an approved applicant, one month's rent must be provided. This amount will be applied to the move-in funds. The property will remain on the market until one month's rent is provided and until the lease is signed.
All move-in funds must be paid in the form of a cashier's check or money order, payable to Salefish Properties before keys will be provided, no exceptions.
Proof of Utility transfer is required prior to the hand-over of keys, no exceptions.
The acceptable Residential Rental criteria:
- Credit - No excessive late payments or excessive past due balances. Nothing in Collections (medical bills may be an exception if nothing else is in Collections) over $600 that is not disputed. All information showing on the credit report and Salefish Properties application is subject to verification, including previous address and place of employment. Some items that are evaluated are late payments, tax liens, charge-offs, repossessions, judgments and discharged bankruptcies. Any applicant who has an open bankruptcy will automatically be denied. We do accept applicants that have poor credit caused by a foreclosure or short sale of their home. Explanations must be provided for any money owed to previous Landlords that is present on the Credit report.
- If an applicant(s) Credit Score is less than 575 - then First month's rent, Security Deposit equal to one month's rent and Last month's rent will ALWAYS be required prior to Move-in.
- If an applicant(s) score is higher than 575 - then First month's rent, Security Deposit equal to one month's rent will ALWAYS be required prior to Move-in. Last month's rent MAY be required prior to Move-in or the Tenant will be put on an installment plan for Last month's rent. Last month is ALWAYS collected prior to the Last month of rent unless agreed to in writing by the property owner, regardless of the credit score.
- Credit reports supplied by applicants will not be accepted.
- Income - Combined gross income of all adult applicants must be equal to a minimum of three (3) times one month's rent. Applicant must provide prior month's pay stub(s) or other IRS-approved evidence of income. Child support must be court ordered to be considered. Unverifiable income will not be considered. Applicant must have at least one year of job history with the same employer, otherwise applicant must pay First month's rent, Security deposit equal to one month's rent AND Last month's rent prior to or on the move-in day.
- Criminal Background - No Felony conviction less than 5 years from release date. Felony convictions can be cause for denial, however, per Federal regulations; drug and alcohol use felonies can be waived with proper documentation. Regardless of conviction date, no applicant with a felony conviction for an act of violence, sex crime, or illegal manufacturing or distribution of drugs will be accepted. No one listed on the Terrorist Watchlist will be accepted.
- Residential History - Applicant must have a minimum of two (2) years of verifiable residential history – rental or mortgaged/owned. If the applicant currently owns a home that is mortgaged, they will need to be up-to-date on their mortgage payments and have the means to pay rent for the property they are applying for as well as the mortgage on their existing home. If applicant has just sold their home or is in the process of relocating to the area - First month's rent, Security deposit equal to one month's rent AND Last month's rent prior to move-in will be required. Two years of rental history does not need to be from the same Landlord. If Applicant has had a short sale or foreclosure in the last two years, a two-month security deposit plus last month’s rent, in addition to first month's rent, will be required prior to move-in. Application may be denied for evictions, damages beyond normal wear and tear, illegal activity on premises, refusal to re-rent by previous landlord or a balance still owed to previous landlord. Relatives are not acceptable rental references. If at least two year's of residential history can not be verified, then Applicant must pay First month's rent, Security deposit equal to one month's rent AND Last month's rent prior to move-in.
- Fair Housing - We do business in accordance to the Federal Fair Housing Act and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, age and marital status. Additionally, we provide housing in accordance with all other state or local laws if those laws provide greater protection than the Federal Fair Housing Act.
- Pet Policy - Some Landlords allow pets, please verify if the property you are interested in will accept a pet. Complete the Salefish Properties Pet Application and pay the $10 fee. All pets must be approved by Salefish Properties and the Landlord. Due to insurance restrictions, the following pets are not accepted: Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Chow, Doberman Pincher, German Shepherd, American Staffordshire Terrier, Mastiff, Akita, Bullmastiff, Husky, Pres Canario or any pet that has any of the above breeds in their lineage. A recent veterinary record indicating the pet is up-to-date on all shots must be provided; the veterinary record must contain the name, age, weight, type and breed of the pet. If the Landlord allows a pet, the tenant will pay an additional non-refundable fee (minimum $150) and the Landlord may also require additional security/pet deposit paid on the Move-in date. A separate Pet Addendum must be signed by all tenants. Companion and support animals are exempt from these fees but applicants must have proper documentation.
- Co-Signer - Some properties may accept a co-signer if you lack either credit or rental references. If that is the case we will accept a co-signer that has verifiable income sufficient to qualify for both their living situation and for the property they are co-signing, and the co-signer must have a greater than 700 credit score. The co-signer must fully complete our application and pay the application fee, which is non-refundable. The Co-Signer signs the lease as a Tenant.
- Special Circumstances - If you have special circumstances, put them in writing with your application so they can be reviewed when the application is being processed.
As owner of Salefish Properties, Broker Nancy Jackson is the only person at Salefish Properties who is authorized to run the consumer reports.Salefish Properties does not print out the consumer report detail. An applicant's information is evaluated on-line and notes are made on the Salefish Properties checklist for each adult applicant.
In order to maintain our ability to run consumer reports for the purposes of screening prospective tenants, Salefish Properties must comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). We must maintain all documents related to your application in a secure locked file for 5 - 7 years. After that they are shredded. We are audited periodically by our consumer report provider to ensure compliance to their standards and that we have a legitimate business purpose for accessing consumer reports.
Salefish Properties does not provide any individual with a copy of the consumer report detail - not the owner of the property and not the applicant.
Download a pdf copy of the Tenant Application Checklist here.
Download a pdf copy of the Tenant Application here.